Skip to main content

Home > Taito city Course (Asakusa) > Asakusa Kannon Kaisatsu no Hi (Monument for prohibition of fishing at Asakusa Kannon)

Recommendation course

Taito city Course (Asakusa)

9 Asakusa Kannon Kaisatsu no Hi (Monument for prohibition of fishing at Asakusa Kannon)

Tangible Cultural Properties of Tokyo (Ancient Documents)
Designated on June, 1922

Monument for prohibition of fishing at Asakusa Kannon;
Photo credit: Courtesy of Taito City Board of Education in the big parade

When there were no car and no train, there was a warf in the area of Komagata-bashi Bridge over Sumida-gawa River, and crowded with the river traffic. People who came to Asakusa by boat used to worship Komagata-do Hall, said to be built in 942, at first and next to Senso-ji Temple.

Komagata-do Hall was built on the place of the bank, where HINOKUMA brothers found the statue of Buddha, the principle image of Senso-ji Temple.

Senso-ji Temple was designated as a place for players of Edo shogunate by TOKUGAWA Ieyasu. Afterwards, in 1642, during the era that the 5th shogun Tsunayoshi, who is known for the ordinances of animal protection, this area was prohibited from fishing.

The range was from south Suwacho (current Komagata, Taito City) to north (Asakusa 7-chome) around Komagata-do along the Sumida-gawa River. The area is about 10 ha, more than 2 times the area of Tokyo Dome.

In the next year, Senzon, the 4th Gon Sojo of Senso-ji Temple, raised this monument in the precincts of Komagata-do Hall, commemorating the designation as the area of prohibiton of fishing.

This monument is a precious historical material, which tells the belief in the Genroku age of the Edo period.