Skip to main content

Home > Taito city Course (Ueno) > Kan'ei-ji Temple, former Honbo front gate (Black Gate)

Recommendation course

Taito city Course (Ueno)

6 Kan'ei-ji Temple, former Honbo front gate (Black Gate)

National Important Cultural Properties (Building)
Designated on November 29, 1946

Toeizan Kan'ei-ji (Kan'ei-ji Temple) founded by a Buddhism priest Tenkai in 1625 was temple compound in Ueno Park area. In the main temple, which is located on the place of the present Tokyo National Museum, a child of imperial family lived as the Lord of the temple (Rinnojinomiya) for generations. The front gate built in 1624 - 1643 is Kirizuma-zukuri (gable roofing) and Hongawarabuki (tile roofing), 5.4 m of front facade with double doors in the center and small doors both sides. The style of this gate is called Yakui-mon (Yakui Gate); the main posts are positioned in front of the central line of the gate. Struts are placed at the center of the beams connecting main posts and secondary posts and a gable roof is placed on them. In 1868, Shogi-tai (an elite corps of the Shogunate)   barricaded themselves into Kanei-ji Temple and were defeated by the army to overthrow of the Tokugawa Shogunate. While many of temple buildings were burned down in this battle, this gate escaped war damage. There are scarred by the bullet holes in this battle. Because of its majestic and black appearance, this gate is often mistaken for Black Gate (now transferred to Entsu-ji Temple in Minamisenju, Arakawa), which is said Shogi-tai and its enemy fought across. This gate was used as a front gate of Imperial Museum (now Tokyo National Museum) opened in 1878. After Kanto Great Earthquake, it was moved to the current location when the main hall of museum was constructed.

Opening times

Date :
Time :
Access & Required Time
14-5 Uenokoen, Taito City (Kan'ei-ji Temple Kyu Honbo Omote-mon(Front Gate))
The Kan'ei-ji Temple Kyu Honbo Omote-mon is 5-min walk from the JR Ueno Station (Koen Exit)
The Kan'ei-ji Kiyomizudo Temple can only be viewed from outside the compound.No smoking, photography prohibited (Buddhist statues)