Skip to main content

Home > Taito city Course (Ueno) > the former Kan'ei-ji Temple, Kiyomizu-do

Recommendation course

Taito city Course (Ueno)

2 the former Kan'ei-ji Temple, Kiyomizu-do

National Important Cultural Properties (Building)
Designated on November 29, 1946

Kan'ei-ji was constructed in 1625 by the request of a priest called Tenkai Sojo. It is said that its premises were designed based on those of Hieizan Enryaku-ji and other famous temples in Kyoto. Kiyomizu Kannon-do is a copy of Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto. Built in 1631, this is the oldest temple among the existing temple compounds of Kan'ei-ji. Originally it was built on Mt. Suribachi, which is the highest place in Ueno-Shinobugaoka, located 100 m north to the current site, probably because this temple is imitating Kiyomizu-dera standing on Mt. Higashi above the Kyoto city. Kiyomizu-Kannon-do is 11.7 m wide and 9 m deep, having a hip-and-gable roof and red lacquered wall, and tile roofing. Especially the balcony looking down Sinobazu Pond makes this temple one of the most famous sites in Ueno as well as an excellent scenic spot depicted in Ukiyoe prints since Edo period. After dismantling repair from 1990 - 1996, the appearance has totally renewed. Originally it was believed that this temple was relocated in 1696, however it was found out to be actually 1694 according to the ridge tag found in the restoration work.

Opening times

Date :
Time :
Access & Required Time
1-29, Uenokoen, Taito-ward (Kan'ei-ji Kiyomizudo Temple)
5-min walk from JR Ueno Station (Koen Exit)
The Kan'ei-ji Kiyomizudo Temple can only be viewed from outside the compound.No smoking, photography prohibited (Buddhist statues)