Skip to main content

Home > Fuchu city Course > Okunitama-jinja Honden (main hall/sanctuary in Okunitama shrine)

Recommendation course

Fuchu city Course

1 Okunitama-jinja Honden (main hall/sanctuary in Okunitama shrine)

Tokyo Tangible Cultural Properties (Building)
Designated March 31, 1962

Okunitama-jinja was built when Kokushi (a local officer transferred from the main government) in Ritsuryo period (mid 7th- 10th centuries) contributed to gather six great shrines and various Japanese gods in one place. It was called Musashisoujya or Rokusyosya in those days. Since the era of Yoritomo Minamoto, warriors including many Shogun families have worshiped this newly created shrine. The present Okunitama-jinja Honden was completed by the order of the 4th Shogun, Ietsuna Tokunaga, in March 1667 after it burnt down in a fire in 1646. Although it was repaired several times since then, it still keeps the style it had at the end of Muromachi period. Honden has three sanctuaries (1-bay wide), which are connected horizontally and make Sangensya-nagare-zukuri (3-bays wide and has a symmetric flowing style gable roof). Nagare-zukuri (flowing style) is the style of having a long extended front slope with a flowing curve covering a step-canopy. Although Nagare-zukuri is often seen in shrine architectures, three combined sanctuaries are very rare. All three are under one roof, but each god is enshrined separately.

Opening times

Date :
not open to the public (Viewing is from outside of the shrine compound fense)
Access & Required Time
3-1Miyamachi, Fuchu-city,
5-min walk from Keio Line Fuchu Station, 5-min walk from JR Musashino Line/Nanbu Line Fuchu-honmachi Station
Parking available, no smoking, lavatories : provided, photography prohibited}